Composite Roofing Shingles
There is a broad range of options available to homeowners when deciding on a type of roof for their home. Composite shingles are one of the most popular types. Close to 85% of homes in the United States are equipped with composite shingle as part of the roofing system. But what are they? Composite shingles are made of fiberglass with a mineral and asphalt coating. The top surface comprises of ceramic granules, and the shingles are available in three different types:
- 3-tab Shingles – This type is the most common for homeowners because they are easy to maintain and are the most cost effective.
- Laminate Shingles – These are an upgrade to the 3-tab shingles option. This material is thicker and laminate shingles have a longer li
- Architectural Shingles – These are top of the line when choosing composite roofing shingles. They are thicker, larger, and heavier, making them a great option for homeowners who are willing to spend a little more for higher quality.
The Benefits of Composite Shingles
Top on the list of reasons for the widespread use of this type of shingle is the fact that it is an inexpensive solution. Additionally, composite roofing shingles are available in lots of colors, textures, and styles. Homeowners quite naturally will be attracted to the most cost effective option in the form of three-tab shingles, but there are many more elegant styles that add another great feature – durability.
Another benefit for those choosing composite shingles is the ease of replacement. Whether you are carrying out a full roof replacement or just a repair, this roofing system is a quick construction project. Other benefits include:
- A 50-year lifespan – Homeowners can enjoy their composite shingle roof for a very long time.
- Flame resistant – Fires can cause severe damage to your home and your roof. With a composite shingle roof, you can rely on its highly flame resistant quality.
Maintaining a Composite Roofing Shingles
If you have a composite shingles roofing system, you should be happy to know that it does not take that much maintenance. The biggest issues that homeowners will complain about is algae buildup. The exterior surface of the roof may show signs of moss growth, especially in more wet areas. If untreated, this can cause deterioration to the shingles. The solution is not to power wash your roof but to call in an experienced roofing contractor. Algae is treated with a chemical solution and to prevent the problem in the future try cutting trees that provide too much shade for your roof.
Finding the Right Roofing Contractor
Roofs are designed to last decades and are an integral part of your home structure. Accordingly, you should be careful with the type of contractor you hire to maintain, repair, or install your composite shingles roofing system. Make sure that the roofing professional of choice is a licensed contractor with years of experience and a good reputation in the industry.
As a homeowner, it is important to do research on pricing and the past clients of any roofing company you are thinking of hiring. Investing the time to make sure that you are using the right contractor for your composite shingles roof will give you the peace of mind and save you tons of money in the long run.http://www.amarillorealestateguide.com/composite-roofing-shingles/http://www.amarillorealestateguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/123-1.jpghttp://www.amarillorealestateguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/123-1-150x150.jpgConstructionRoofing,Roofing Shingles